Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WHO WILL STAND TO BE COUNTED

When Obama, became president all of the world stood up in giving America a standing ovation. The Afro Americans, stood up in ululation to mark and end albeit at the moment of racism. They were happy that one of their own was elected as President. Kenya had despised the young senator when he paid his father's land a visit and went ahead to give an infamous speech about corruption at UON's Taifa Hall. Well we were proud that  Change had finally come.

When I look at Kenya today, I am at a crossroads given that I have been around for over 20 years and my future seems bleak. My future is not bleak because my country is at war, or because I lack anything, not at all. I have had my blessings and do continue to count them each passing day. My future is bleak because at the moment I weep for my country. I weep because there is a disparity in all areas and a continual gap between the social elites and the lower income earners. I weep because these facts are out there and nobody in the position of influence is willing to change or address them head on.

When I was a little younger and all my innocence was still intact, I heard and read about the great Luanda Magere, the Wanga Kingdom, the like of Masaku, Koitalel arap Samoei and even Mekatilili wa Menza. Those heroes were known and despite their diversity, all Kenyans identify and revere them. I also read and heard about the eloquent Mboya whose life was snuffed out by an assassin's bullet. All these are but a tip of the cake's icing.

When you look around what you see are epitomes of selfishness and wit masked by smiles and empty rhetoric. You see leaders who are tribal war lords complete with an army of propagandists and foot soldiers as evidenced by the 2007/2008 mayhem. I don't know what you see but I see people who divide and rule. People who do not stand for VALUES but oscillate faster than a pendulum on personal interest.

Is there any person out there? Are you even reading this!

You might have the audacity to ask me what I do for my country. For starters I am a tax payer; Enough said.

What I have endeavored in the past months to do is to study and look for as much information as possible on these noble men and women who want to be my president.

That is the only way that I can stand and be counted. I want to be counted as among those who did not get hood winked by the spell cast on this great land. The spell of my tribe this, my tribe that. I want to be counted as that person who voted for a man of integrity who did not win an election because he never wooed voters with money. I want to be the one who voted for that person who respects the rule of law but lost out in the wave of a political party whose members are everything but honest. I want to be counted as that person who never voted for a fellow tribesman who lacked in content and ideology but voted for a man that stands for something; the right thing.

Bad leaders and good laws are like lipstick on the snout of a pig; very appealing! But does any one care. Does any one care that at the moment there is no one who enjoys popular support from Kenyans? Does any one care that there is something wrong with us and that our mothers are not to blame for giving birth to men and women who are incapable of dying for the noble thing? What happened to UZALENDO?

What happened to the enthusiasm that we all enjoyed in 2003 and the valor that spewed forth optimism amongst us? We find ourselves clamoring for heroes of other countries such as Mandela of South Africa and Obama of America yet are incapable of cultivating our own. I am yearning, yearning for change. I am disillusioned but all is not lost.

All is not lost because there are Kenyans who will die for Kenya. I will stand to be counted with them. I will die with them. They are the reason that I have hope. They are the reason that I say kudos! to all Kenyan mothers for bearing forth such noble fruits ripe at such ignoble times as this.

These Kenyans are the reason why we knew that people were dying of hunger even when the GoK was denying the truth. They are the uncelebrated heroes of the new revolution, the new liberation. They are the ones who understand what it is to sacrifice whilst the leaders flaunt their excuses in public.

These men and women unknown to the camera and public life are watching. Unknown to many they too are waiting to see who will join in in the band wagon, the wagon that heads up the hill and down into the plains of success and triumph.

I do not know about you but I stand to be counted!














1 comment:

Loice Ligare said...

Straight 4rm the heart. I almost shed a tear and I STAND TO BE COUNTED TOO!!!Straight 4rm the heart. I almost shed a tear and I STAND TO BE COUNTED TOO!!!