Wednesday, September 28, 2011

MARTIN'S DAY IN


The sun shines, reminding me that it’s another morning that I have over slept. Of late I have been suffering from insomnia (lack of sleep).  I am plagued by a condition that I have never had before. You see, I am the type of person who sleeps through a Taliban invasion never mind that the last time I was in a chaotic situation was when I visited my friend living next to a railway line and I slept through the whole ordeal! And by the way I have no problem with my ears; I can hear the whispers of the spirits at night!
I awake to another reality; my eyes are swollen and bloodshot. I take some paracetamol to ease the throb in my head.
"What happened?” I asked myself.
I stretched myself and lazily got out of bed. I noticed the blinking of the phone on my bedside table. I had a number of missed calls. They were all from her. Yes, her. What was the connection of the two? I had not gone drinking so why was my memory failing me?
I got out of bed and drew the curtains, turning the slice of light that was breaking though into a beam of light. As I opened the window, the soft breeze hit my temple and the warmth so caressing that all I could do was sigh.
I turned to go and clean up. Then I heard the shower running. Someone was in the house with me. I could not recall having company the previous night; instinctively I reached for the Maasai sword under my pillow, still in my briefs I tiptoed towards my bathroom. But with all these horror movies being sold around you have to admit its a bit scary hearing strange sounds in a house you live alone in. Really, I don’t want to die young. What the hell!
In my state of mind, the strappy sandals on my path were invisible, the result was that I tripped and fell, hitting my head on the tiled floor; So much for the guy who could have killed an elephant with a sword. I hit my head so hard I could have sworn the floor cracked or was it my skull. I can’t tell I didn’t go to the doctor (I don’t trust them). That alone, made me recall what had happened the previous night.
I lay on the floor writhing in pain. Blurred vision made worse by direct sunlight straight from the bathroom window, I made out a dark image approaching. My horror movie might as well begin now….